Ayani designs, promotes and implements performance-based social impact, blended finance and challenge funds, and applies a market-led methodology to financing and capacity building. The firm’s experience with investment and challenge funds spans the whole trajectory from concept to implementation, and from management to exit, including linkages to and coordination with effective capacity building.
Ayani is actively engaged in the evolving best practices related to both commercially run investment and non-commercial grant-making funds throughout Africa. Such best practices include:
- Ensuring market-appropriate tools (e.g., a combination of debt, equity and quasi-equity);
- Providing support to leverage development-targeted concessional financing to attract and de-risk private investment;
- Financial structure alignment with desired transaction and exit timeline;
- Linking investment to technical support (including seconding management positions); and
- The need for highly efficient systems when more numerous and smaller-scale transactions are anticipated.
Ayani’s fund experience includes:
- Market and feasibility assessments
- Determining strategic orientation through facilitation of stakeholder discourse
- Program development and identifying an appropriate range of products and services
- Defining a strategic and efficient mix of financing instruments
- Arriving at a shared vision among diverse stakeholders
- Capital planning, policy and procedure development
- Development of reporting templates to facilitate subsequent monitoring
- Set-up of funds/trust including formation of board, and
- Management and execution of fund activities and reporting.
Learn more about Ayani’s work in this area: